With gas bills putting a crimp in your budget, you don't want to be wasting money on other car expenses. But many car owners do just that — either spending more than needed on maintenance or putting off work that will cost more later.
But while neglect doesn't work, neither does overspending. From Sadowski and Michael Calkins, manager of the AAA program that recommends repair shops, here are 10 ways you may be wasting money on your car.
1. Changing oil every 3,000 miles.
2. Using premium fuel unnecessarily.
3. Failing to change your air filter.
4. Failing to check the brake pads.
5. Buying mileage-boosting additives and devices.
6. Tune-ups for your engine or air conditioning.
7. Changing coolant.
8. Ignoring your check-engine light.
9. Buying expensive performance tires.
10. Paying for built-in navigation.